Naturopath Katherine Maslen decided that charging by the hour had hairs on it … so, she bravely launched the world’s first natural healthcare membership model. Did it get a few existing clients’ noses out of joint? Yes! Would she do it all again? Hell yeah!
A little bit more about Shift’s Katherine Maslen …
Katherine Maslen is a naturopath, nutritionist, author, mother, podcast host and founder of Shift, where her and her team work with people to help them make shifts in their health and their life. She owns Shift Brisbane, her flagship clinic where she has a team of 15, Shift Rockhampton, her regional Queensland clinic and Shift Anywhere, her virtual membership business.
So strap in as Katherine shares:
- A very personal story about why she became a Naturopath
- The trials and tribulations of launching the business
- Those moments of acceleration when the business really took off
- Why she went from charging by the hour to a monthly membership model
- How she’s built a strong personal brand in her chosen niche using podcasting, self-publishing, blogging, keynote speaking
- Plus plenty more business and marketing insights …
Here’s what caught my attention from my chat with naturopath Katherine Maslen:
- I love her move to the monthly Membership-based model. Not only does it provide surety of income, it gives patients a clear pathway to access the modalities they need.
- I love the fact that there are a limited number of memberships, creating a sense of scarcity and something special.
- I love how the Membership model encourages Katherine and her team to add additional layers to the customer experience including a multitude of workshops, parties, even a private Facebook group.
Katherine Maslen Interview Transcription
Katherine Maslen welcome finally to the small business big marketing show.
Thank you so much for having me.
Awesome. A fellow podcaster. Now I want to start off by asking why did you become a naturopath in the first place. Cause sounds like a pretty interesting story to me.
- Shifts official website
- Katherine Maslen’s personal brand website
- Last week’s interview with the round beach towel creator Victoria Beattie
- Interviews I’ve done with other business owners who have challenged the norm:
- Winner of this week’s Monster Prize Draw is life coach Dr. Ben Carvosso of The On Button
- Coffee Port
“I’m like a butterfly about to break out of its cocoon and it friggin hurts and it’s uncomfortable. But I can see really good things will come out of this (brand refresh) and I can see that happening already.”
– Katherine Maslen,
Please support the following businesses who make this show possible:
Let your business expenses reward you. Every year.
Australia’s Internet isn’t great. That’s why Switchnode exist. The solution is here and it’s wireless.
If something in this episode of Australia’s favourite marketing podcast peaked your interest, then let me know by leaving a comment below.
May your marketing be the best marketing.