Busy mum-of-three Rini Lombard never dreamed about launching her own business, it was her ballet-loving daughter that inspired her to take the leap. Despite the toy manufacturing industry being highly competitive and saturated, Rini launched her line Ballerina & Me, confident that her dolls would bring joy to the whole family. 7000 happy customers later, Rini lives to tell us her success story.
Want to know how a business is born out of an experiment with a broomstick? What’s it really like to be your own boss and live your passion? And find out the biggest mistake this small business owner has ever made… Yikes! Hit the PLAY button above to listen now, or subscribe free to hear the full interview.
Rini also shares:
- How she balances work and being a mum of three
- The importance of having someone believe in you
- How getting your name out there at the local markets is a great first step to success
- Why it’s critical to copyright your brilliant business idea
- That being a kind human will take you far in business
- How engaging a PR expert can propel you to the next level
- When it’s time to delegate some of the workload e.g. social media
- And plenty more …
Here’s what caught my attention from my chat with Ballerina & Me’s Rini Lombard:
- Rini is crystal clear on the “why” she does what she does – and let me tell you, not a whole lot business owners can articulate this as well as today’s guest. Rini’s enthusiasm is evident in the way she lights up when talking about her business. It was a real joy to chat with her today.
- Have a meaty and genuine story to tell. Rini has worked with a PR expert to gain some pretty influential press, including a mention on Channel 10’s morning talk show Studio 10 and in The Age newspaper. Again, it’s Rini’s personal story and passion for the “why” she has created this business, plus her truly unique life-size dancing dolls that make her stand out from the crowd.
- I love that Rini’s business goals are so big that they scare (and excite) her. She has grand plans to grow her business and expand her offering, but will only do so if the new ideas align with her mission to spread joy. In an overpopulated market, it’s Rini’s authenticity that’ll allow her to stand the test of time.
But the marketing gold doesn’t stop there, in this episode:
- I give you a real life example of a local business who score 10 out of 10 for grabbing my attention, but shoot themselves in the foot at the pointy end of the deal, aka the moment I was about to throw down the cold, hard c-a-s-h! Womp womp. Don’t let this be you!
Please support the following businesses who make this show possible:
Let your business expenses reward you. Every year.
Partner with Australia’s #1 online business directory for all your digital marketing needs.
Australia’s Internet isn’t great. That’s why Switchnode exist. The solution is here and it’s wireless.