How to build an empire by identifying a gap in the market with Kate Morris of Adore Beauty [Podcast]
- On May 9, 2017
- 363, Adore Beauty, dialpad business phone system, how to keep employees happy, Identify a gap in the market, Kate Morris, marketing podcast
Kate Morris was selling make-up at the Clarins counter in a large department store. It was there she identified a rather large gap in the market. She filled that gap with a business called Adore Beauty – laying the foundation for Australia’s largest online retailer of beauty products.
We cover a lot of ground as Kate explains:
- How she’s built this empire
- Why she sold part of it to Australia’s biggest supermarket brand, then bought it back again
- Why opening a bricks and mortar store was the wrong move
- Why ensuring the Adore Beauty brand doesn’t shine to bright
Here’s what caught my attention from chatting with Kate Morris of Adore Beauty:
- What do we want to be in the lives of our customers? This is a great question to ask as you plan your marketing strategy.
- Have the courage to fail. I hear this time and time again from successful business owners. The failures are where the lessons live. Just fail quickly and move on!
- Having a full time blogger on staff. Great writers don’t come cheaply, so this idea is of course for businesses over a certain. That said, at least have a writer you can call on when a brochure or blog or sales letter needs to be written.
But the marketing gold doesn’t stop there, in this episode you’ll also discover:
- Resident techspert Dale Beaumont from 52 Ways shares another productivity tool to make your business life a whole lot easier.
- I share another low cost marketing idea that’ll have your staff jumping out of their pants!
- And we go back into the vault, revisiting a chat I had with Gold Medal Olympian Steven Bradbury.
Links & Resources mentioned:
- Adore Beauty website
- Interview with Scott Kilmartin of Grace the Vintage Ice Cream Truck fame
- Productivity tool – DialPad
- How to keep employees happy
Please support these businesses who make this show possible:
Dale Beaumont’s 52 Ways – An amazing free 1-day live event for business owners where you’ll discover 52 ways to boost your business profits. Seats are limited. Book now.
FastMail – Free 30-day trial plus 15% off your first year. Email, calendars and contacts done right. Get private, secure, email hosting for that beautiful business of yours.
If some thing in this episode of Australia’s favourite marketing podcast peaked your interest, then let me know. Leave your thoughts below.
This post was provided by marketing speaker Tim Reid who is the host of The Small Business Big Marketing Show, Australia’s #1 marketing podcast, also heard on Virgin Airlines. Subscribe FREE on iTunes or Android.