Ethical butcher, Sam Canning, used to be a vegetarian … Now he runs six fancy butcher shops in Melbourne’s most affluent suburbs
- On November 4, 2018
- 435, cannings butchers, Ethical butchers, marketing podcast, Marketing tips, sam canning, Small Business Big Marketing, tim reid
Sam Canning used to be a vegetarian. Now he’s one of Australia’s leading ethical butchers, running six very fancy butchers shops in Melbourne’s most affluent suburbs. His experience in ‘paddock-to-plate’ butcher-shops in the UK inspired him to open his first shop here in Australia – with a focus on animal welfare. In 2010, the first Cannings Butcher Shop was opened in the leafy Melbourne suburb of Hawthorn. Now Sam has 6 shops (and let me tell ya, they’re not your average butcher’s shop) and he’s in the process of opening up two more. This rapid growth hasn’t come without some pain which Sam openly talks about, plus he shares how he’s gone about cleverly disrupting a very stayed industry.
There’s loads more tips and insights just like this that will help you build that beautiful business of yours into the empire it deserves to be. Hit the PLAY button above to listen now, or subscribe free to hear the full interview.
Sam also shares:
- Why he became a carnivore
- The best marketing they do to attract and retain more clients
- His real estate strategy
- Why he’s chosen one word to cover all aspects of the Cannings business
- How he’s managed the rapid growth since opening on 2010
- The hardest part of running six butcher’s shops
- And much, much more.
Here’s what caught my attention from my chat with Sam Canning:
- I love that Sam’s challenging a very old and stayed industry
- Cannings use of SMS marketing is clever
- The fact that they’re documenting all systems and processes is also a smart thing to do before the business gets too big
- Cannings Butchers official website
- The winner of this week’s Monster Prize Draw is Danielle Rathman from Heartbeat Handicrafts
Jingle of the Week – Big M
Please support American Express who make this show possible:
Let your business expenses reward you. Every year.
And join me at the Idea Exchange in Sydney on November 22, 2018.
If something in this episode of Australia’s favourite marketing podcast peaked your interest, then let me know by leaving a comment below.
May your marketing be the best marketing.
This post was provided by marketing speaker Tim Reid who is the host of The Small Business Big Marketing Show, Australia’s #1 marketing podcast, also heard on Virgin Airlines. Subscribe FREE on iTunes or Android